Great literature transcends time because of its inherent qualities: the author has a clear purpose, the author achieves that purpose, and the purpose is a worthwhile one.
Wednesday
Grading Blog
Please comment on the class grading policies, and make suggestions that you feel would enhance the process for future students.
I really appreciated this grading system because I rather like being treated as an adult. I've always hated the take off ten points every day an assignment is late policy. I generally handed things in on time, although I slipped up a bit recently. I never cared that while I handed in a paper or essay on time that someone else could hand it in a week or two later and get a higher grade then me. They did the work and it is the work that really matters not when it was done. If I get a lower grade then someone else that simply means that I did a worse job then they did and I can accept that my work isn’t better and my insights are not deeper just because I had the time, energy, and sense of responsibility to not abuse a system that treats me like a human being. I also have to admit that when the end of the quarter roles around and someone who didn’t pay attention to deadlines realizes that they have far too much work to get done in far too little time, I understand how horrible that can be. I know that I’m just glad that with everything else I have to do that at least I don’t have a pile of English essays to write, along with everything else. I also think that if some of my college classes will have grading policies similar to this, it is good to get used to it while still in familiar surroundings.
1 comment:
I really appreciated this grading system because I rather like being treated as an adult. I've always hated the take off ten points every day an assignment is late policy. I generally handed things in on time, although I slipped up a bit recently. I never cared that while I handed in a paper or essay on time that someone else could hand it in a week or two later and get a higher grade then me. They did the work and it is the work that really matters not when it was done. If I get a lower grade then someone else that simply means that I did a worse job then they did and I can accept that my work isn’t better and my insights are not deeper just because I had the time, energy, and sense of responsibility to not abuse a system that treats me like a human being. I also have to admit that when the end of the quarter roles around and someone who didn’t pay attention to deadlines realizes that they have far too much work to get done in far too little time, I understand how horrible that can be. I know that I’m just glad that with everything else I have to do that at least I don’t have a pile of English essays to write, along with everything else. I also think that if some of my college classes will have grading policies similar to this, it is good to get used to it while still in familiar surroundings.
Post a Comment