Great literature transcends time because of its inherent qualities: the author has a clear purpose, the author achieves that purpose, and the purpose is a worthwhile one.
Thursday
Discussion Topic #4
In 100 proofed words discuss one aspect of the film you thought supported an understanding of the text. Try not to repeat previously posted concepts.
I thought that Apocalypse Now helped me really identify with the more minor characters. For instance, although I felt a lot of empathy for the Natives who were abused in the book, in the movie I was filled with horror over the Vietnamese civilian murders. I also feel as though the movie gave me a new perspective on Kurtz and Marlow/Willard’s relationship. That was really important because it made me realize how powerful Kurtz’s hold on others was. The last thing the movie really threw in my face and made me absorb was how hypocritical and cruel civilization was towards so many people.
2 comments:
I thought that Apocalypse Now helped me really identify with the more minor characters. For instance, although I felt a lot of empathy for the Natives who were abused in the book, in the movie I was filled with horror over the Vietnamese civilian murders. I also feel as though the movie gave me a new perspective on Kurtz and Marlow/Willard’s relationship. That was really important because it made me realize how powerful Kurtz’s hold on others was. The last thing the movie really threw in my face and made me absorb was how hypocritical and cruel civilization was towards so many people.
Post a Comment