Thursday

Discussion Topic #1

In 100 proofed words discuss the following:

"He had the power to charm or frighten rudimentary souls into an aggravated witch-dance in his honour."


Do not repeat the ideas posed in earlier posts.

Due 9/15/04

4 comments:

Merry said...

I think that the people Kurtz had a great affect on were not really all so incredibly simple. Instead I think that if someone like Marlow, who seems to be a strong and complex person, is so greatly affected by the mere description of Kurtz, that the author is instead suggesting that Kurtz is just so much stronger, smarter, intimidating, willful, and charming then everybody else that they become simple in comparison with him. I think, however, that the more simple the people who met him were, the greater the effect he had on them.

Merry said...

I think that the people Kurtz had a great affect on were not really all so incredibly simple. Marlow, for instance, can not truly be considered a simple person by most standards. Yet if you consider the effect Kurtz had on Marlow, Marlow must be grouped in with the “rudimentary souls” mentioned in the quote. Therefore, it seems that it is not the simpleness of the people interacting with Kurtz that gives Kurtz power over them. Instead it is Kurtz’s superiority that gives him power over them. I think, however, that the more simple the people who met Kurtz were, the greater the effect he had on them.

Merry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Merry said...

Wow, I'm haveing a really bad time doing this blog tonight. I couldn’t delete my origional post for some reason and the post I just deleted was an attempt at an apology for posting again. I just wanted to say that my first post should be disregaurded since it is badly worded and proofed. Please instead pretend my second post was my first post.