Great literature transcends time because of its inherent qualities: the author has a clear purpose, the author achieves that purpose, and the purpose is a worthwhile one.
Tuesday
Blog #2
Discuss the evolution of your thought process as it relates to the novel Heart of Darkness. Try not to repeat ideas from previous post, but you may wish to expand/comment on an eariler post.
I don't really understand what you are asking us to write about. Everyone else seemed to take it as "How did your thoughts about the book change as you read it, learned about it in school, and watched the movie" so I'll take it the same way.
I watched the movie before I read the book and to be honest it was hard for me to really connect the two. Only a few parts were really clearly the same, such as the ending of both, that I even doubted if the movie was really based on the book. I didn't really learn anything significant either when I read it. That could of been because I tried to read it quickly since it was for school, but regardless I did understand when some of its meaning was revealed in class. This also helped me to see the connection between the book and the movie. My thoughts on the book evolved from not really having an opinion on it to enjoying it through understanding.
I would say that I somewhat understood Heart of Darkness the first time I read it. But I read Heart of Darkness about a week after school started (oops)! I understood the general theme the nature of man and the complex relationship he alone has with society. I like how David stated that "civilization is in the eye of the beholder" because it represents what I believe is the central idea of this book. I don't believe that Kurtz succumbed to savagery, I just feel that it was the environmental conditions and the alternate, quite distant African culture that was responsible for his extreme personal change. I think that Apocalypse Now is great because unlike most movies that are based on books, it really is giving me a clearer understanding of these themes in Heart of Darkness and how prevalent they are in everyday life.
2 comments:
I don't really understand what you are asking us to write about. Everyone else seemed to take it as "How did your thoughts about the book change as you read it, learned about it in school, and watched the movie" so I'll take it the same way.
I watched the movie before I read the book and to be honest it was hard for me to really connect the two. Only a few parts were really clearly the same, such as the ending of both, that I even doubted if the movie was really based on the book. I didn't really learn anything significant either when I read it. That could of been because I tried to read it quickly since it was for school, but regardless I did understand when some of its meaning was revealed in class. This also helped me to see the connection between the book and the movie. My thoughts on the book evolved from not really having an opinion on it to enjoying it through understanding.
I would say that I somewhat understood Heart of Darkness the first time I read it. But I read Heart of Darkness about a week after school started (oops)! I understood the general theme the nature of man and the complex relationship he alone has with society. I like how David stated that "civilization is in the eye of the beholder" because it represents what I believe is the central idea of this book. I don't believe that Kurtz succumbed to savagery, I just feel that it was the environmental conditions and the alternate, quite distant African culture that was responsible for his extreme personal change. I think that Apocalypse Now is great because unlike most movies that are based on books, it really is giving me a clearer understanding of these themes in Heart of Darkness and how prevalent they are in everyday life.
Post a Comment